What to do if the propane tank for my apartment is low but the landlady says she has no money to have it refilled?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the propane tank for my apartment is low but the landlady says she has no money to have it refilled?

I am 58 and physically disabled, living only from SSD. I pay $300 per month rent, and $150 per month for propane for cooking, heating and hot water. The landlady asks me to call her when there is only 20% measured in the tank but when I told her earlier this week it needed to be refilled, she told me she has no money to have it filled. I have paid nearly $2,000 for gas in the past 2 years and have only used approximately $800 worth. I have no way to tell exactly how much I have used, as she will not provide any accounting of my actual usage. I can’t afford to pay to have it filled on my own.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you pay rent where the propane is provided as part of your rent, then your landlord is obligated under the law to provide you with propane. I suggest that you contact your local legal aid clinic or county bar association for assistance in your matter if you cannot afford an attorney. You may be able to get "gratis" legal representation concerning the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption