If a mechanic didn’t put my fender on right and it fell off while I was driving, can I sue?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a mechanic didn’t put my fender on right and it fell off while I was driving, can I sue?

The mechanic behind my house owns a repair shop and when I asked if he could do some body work for me he said yes. When he finally got around to doing it someone called the city of garland and they gave him a $800 fine but in his rush to put everything back, he didn’t put the fender back on correct and it fell off while I was driving. What can I do?

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the mechanic was negligent, or careless, in how he did the work, he is potentially liable (or financially responsible) for the cost to repair any resulting damage. You could sue the mechanic for the cost of repairing your car after the fender fell off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption