If a husband is making 5 times than he did previously while married, can his ex-wife ask for an increase in her alimony payments?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a husband is making 5 times than he did previously while married, can his ex-wife ask for an increase in her alimony payments?

The wife is receiving the alimony but is still getting the same amount that was given during when the husband made a fifth of his money, due to the amount of spending the wife was doing at the time when the husband was making a lot less money. Is there some way for the wife to get 5 times more since the husband is making 5 times more?

Asked on January 28, 2016 under Family Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances such as increased income would be grounds for seeking a modification / increase of spousal support.
The spouse would file an Order To Show Cause (court form) with the court requesting a hearing on the issue of modification of spousal support and a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting an increase in spousal support.  A copy of these documents filed with the court need to be served by mail on the other spouse.
The required documents to be filed with the court for seeking a modification of spousal support may vary from state to state.  Check with the court clerk to be certain you have filed all required documents.
Although an increase in spousal support is warranted based on increased income, the amount will be determined in court and might not be five times the present amount as it is impossible to predict how a court will rule in a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption