The garage on our new custom built home will not physically fit two cars, although we purchased a two car garage. What can I do legally?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The garage on our new custom built home will not physically fit two cars, although we purchased a two car garage. What can I do legally?

We purchased a large house, and it came
with an attached two car garage. As soon
as we moved in, we realized we could not
fit two normal sized cars into the
garage side by side. Also, the car on
the right side can’t fit in length wise
and have the garage door still close.
It’s basically a one car garage with
storage. The garage can’t be expanded
because of the lot. We are not happy but
haven’t contacted the builder yet.

Asked on December 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the builder for breach of contract--for not building for you what they agreed to build and you paid for--if you and they can't work this out voluntarily. In the lawsuit, you would sue for the cost to renovate the garage--to rebuild it, so it will fit two cars--if such is possible; or else for compensation equal to your home's dimunution in value from not having a true 2-car garage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption