What are my rights if the dentist broke a front tooth while extracting the one behind it?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if the dentist broke a front tooth while extracting the one behind it?

He said the only way to save the tooth was to crown it and estimated the cost at $300. since I am on a sliding scale. When I made the appointment for the prep the secretary quoted a cost of $352. I went back for the prep and was told the lab fees had gone up $5.; I made a deposit of $200. When I went back to have the crown cemented, I was told the lab fees had gone up $105. due to the price of gold. At no time was I told there would be gold in the crown. The precise term used was “metal”. They refuse to stand by their quote. I have paid the remaining

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Maine


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the dentist broke the tooth, he should not be charging you anything to repair it.  However, there is nothing that requires dentists to "stand by" estimates for the cost of their work.  You should seek out a personal injury attorney to review your situation/medical file and determine if you have a case against this dentist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption