What to do if my employer took my wife off of my health insurance plan because of dependent eeligibility verification, what is my recourse

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer took my wife off of my health insurance plan because of dependent eeligibility verification, what is my recourse

We enrolled on the health insurance and even had the ID cards. They sent 1 letter saying that they need documents proving that we are married. After that we didn’t received any other letters, e-mails or phones calls. They just took her out and we found out from her doctor that she didn’t have insurance. She is now 8 months pregnant. I’m going to be stuck with all the bills. What can we do to solve this? They say is a IRS law and that they wont be able to put her back in.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Insurance Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your employer unilaterally took your wife off your policy of insurance without advising you in writing of such and getting your writtne consent and knowledge that this was going to happen, it appears that you have a claim against your employer of the out of pocket medical costs that you and your wife will incure for her health care needs pending the ability to reinstate her back onto your insurance policy.

Give this and the fact that your wife is now eight months pregnant, I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in insurance law, specifically health care law about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption