What to do if the company that I work for has a new car policy that I doubt is legal?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the company that I work for has a new car policy that I doubt is legal?

The company I work for has provided vehicles for the last 6 years replacing the old policy of paying us mileage. It recently decided to go with a different program in which we will be given a monthly reimbursement to purchase a vehicle of our choice as long as it is 5 years old or less and has less than 150,000 miles. We do not have the option of not participating in the program according to my district manager and will lose our full-time positions if we chose to buy an older car and forgo the reimbursement. Can this be legal?

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is perfectly legal so long as there is no existing employment agreement or contract (including a union agreement) to the contrary. Otherwise, an employer is free to set terms and conditions of employment, including requiring employees to have and use certain types of vehicles or to participate in the employer's car program. Anyone who does not comply with his or her job's requirements may be terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption