If the apartment building that I rent at changed management, who is responsible for returning the security deposit?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the apartment building that I rent at changed management, who is responsible for returning the security deposit?

We are ending our lease. However they said we will have to contact the old management to get our security deposit back. If the new management took over the building, aren’t they responsible for my deposit?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Technically the owner of the building that you rented (former landlord) is responsible for returning your security deposit within the required time period per statute.

Most likely the former agent of the landlord (old property manager) transferred all funds to the new property manager. I would write the current property manager and the landlord a letter demanding your return of the security deposit by a set date, keeping a copy of the letter for future use.

If not received by the due date, your option is small claims court. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption