What to do if the apartment price per month on my rental application is different (higher) than the rental price noted on the lease I signed?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the apartment price per month on my rental application is different (higher) than the rental price noted on the lease I signed?

My landlord is now telling me to change my lease to the higher price noted on my application. Am I obligated to do that? What are my options?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Normally, the plain terms of a contract--such as the rent on a lease--will control, and neither party may change them without the consent, or agreement, of the other. However, the courts will not enforce an obvious error on a contract; if it can be shown that the parties intended something other than what is written, but that a typo or clerical error was made on the contract, courts may instead enforce the terms--or rent--that the parties had in fact agreed to, not the incorrec terms or number on the contract. In a case like this, if there is a written rental application which shows the rent that the landlord intended to charge and you intended to pay, there is a very good chance a court would "reform" the contract to that amount. Therefore, while it's not certain the landlord would win in court, there is a reasonable chance it would; be guided by that in deciding whether to fight this change or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption