What to do if the administrator of my deceased father’s estate is grossly mishandling funds?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the administrator of my deceased father’s estate is grossly mishandling funds?

She has used money from the estate to pay on a mortgage loan with both her name and my late father’s name on it and her and her lawyer are claiming that the estate must pay off this loan. She has also not sold personal property that is depreciating in value and costing the estate money via taxes, insurance and even huge fines from the county. What is our best course of action to handle this?

Asked on April 7, 2014 under Estate Planning, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you are a "party in interest"--that is, that you stand to inherit, and believe that she is wasting assets that will, at least in part, come to you--then you could bring a legal action in chancery or probate court to challenge her administration of the estate and seek a court order either reversing some of her actions and/or removing her from the role. Chancery proceedings can be complicated--you are advised to retain an attorney to help you.

Note that the estate is generally supposed to pay off debts of the deceased, even if there is a co-signor on those, so paying off the mortgage may be proper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption