Is there any way I can get my judgment amended to a new LLC name?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way I can get my judgment amended to a new LLC name?

I recently (32 days) won a judgment in small claims court. The LLC did not appeal the judgement, however I began the process of submitting the forms requesting assets, and noticed the name was changed. The LLC only has one employee, the owner/operator. Can I get my judgement amended to the new LLC name or am I completely screwed out of the courts costs, time and costs of damage to my vehicles engine?

Asked on June 23, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If it is the same LLC that only changed its name, then you should be able to amend the judgment by filing a motion in the same court in which you received the judgment. Contact the court clerk for information and instructions.

Howeve, if he simply shut down the old LLC (or didn't shut it down, but basically "abandoned" it) and this is a new LLC, you're judgment will not apply to it, since it is a separate legal entity, just as your judgment would not apply to the owner himself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption