Texas Marriage/Divorce Question

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Texas Marriage/Divorce Question

My friend currently in a marriage and he also collect disablity money from the veteran affairs, if he use the disable money to buy a vehicle let just say $20,000 vehicle and is in his name, if later down the road his marriage doesnt work out and he get a divorce does he have to split the car/house to his wife if he use his disability money to buy the vehicle/house?

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you buy property (whether real, like a house, or personal, like a car) during marriage, it is "community property" in your state (TX) and your spouse has a 50% interest in it. It doesn't matter that it was "your" money: anything bought or acquired by either spouse, using his/her money (e.g. wages, salary, disability, etc.) during marriage is community property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption