What to do about a termite problem?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a termite problem?

We own a townhouse and this townhouse has 4 units. Our neighbor found that she has termite dust in her closet and she would like to do termite treatment. She was able to pursue the other two units to do treatment and share the cost of $700, but we don’t want to do it because we don’t believe we have termite and think that she can just do a spot treatment to her home. She’s now suing us in small claim court to share the cost. HOA doesn’t pay for termite. Our roof has recently been change and our share wall are bricks. Are we obligated to pay for this or do we have a case?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the termite issue is not a common issue that the HOA is reposnible for and there is no agreement or recorded covenant, condition & restriction mandating that joint property owners pay for such costs if the termite issue does not affect their respective property, you should defend the matter in small claims court. However, I would place your presumed homeowner's insurance company on notice about the small claims court matter orally and in writing. Keep a copy of the letter sent for future reference and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption