Termination of Spousal Support

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Termination of Spousal Support

My ex-wife has remarried, but is claiming I owe her back spousal support. I am trying to prove cohabitation back to 2014 and have a witness our sonwho will testify for me that the couple were in fact cohabitating he lived with them. I’m still paying support due to her and her attorney claiming I owe her back support. We are set to go to trial on March 28. My ex-wife is continually calling my son and asking him questions about his part in the case and what he is planning to say. I have warned her attorney that I feel this constitutes witness tampering. If she continues, is this grounds for complete dismissal of the case?

Asked on March 19, 2018 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I doubt that her talking to your son would impact a dismissal to the extent you wish.  I would, though, stop telling him anything and possible try and prove your case without him involved, since it really places him in the middle of things.  Also, I would check your state laws on this and for that reason alone I would go and speak with an attorney on a consultation basis.  Here is why: some states only let you stop paying from the date you FILE the request, not back in time.  The onus is upon you to have filed when you thought she was cohabitaing.  So you may be legally barred from going back the 4 years.  Just be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption