If tenants that I share a rental home with refuse to get rid of their dog regardless of my severe dog allergies, can I brake my lease?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If tenants that I share a rental home with refuse to get rid of their dog regardless of my severe dog allergies, can I brake my lease?

I’m currently renting a home with 4 others; 2 of the 4 decided to adopt a dog. I have serious dog allergies and have discussed this with them several times but they refuse to move the dog outside. They paid my landlord a $200 pet deposit for the dog and told him that everyone agreed on it even though that was not the case. My landlord says he is unable to do anything about the situation. Is this true? If so, would I be eligible to break the lease without penalty because of this health issue?

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You were not a part of the agreement and the landlord may have breached your agreement with him. Indicate to the landlord in writing that since your landlord has now breached the agreement and allowed an item into the home as part of another's lease agreement that has caused uninhabitable living conditions for you, your landlord will be required to allow you to surrender your lease with full refund of your security deposit and pay you to move elsewhere. In the interim, before you send that letter to your landlord, contact the consumer protection bureau in your state that handles landlord tenant matters and see if it has jurisdiction to help. If it does not, send the letter and see if legal aid can help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption