What are a tenant’s rights if a foreclosure situation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights if a foreclosure situation?

I am in the process of renting a home. The owner of the home only has a deed, purchasing through bankruptcy court. He is still negotiating with the bank to sell the title, so there is no guarantee this person will have the title and the bank may take possession of the home. If I decide to rent the home, I would like to know what my rights are? Will I be allowed to fulfill my lease term 12 months under the

Asked on February 25, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, the current Tenant Protection Act in your state only requires the new owner after foreclosure (e.g. the bank, or whomever buys the home at  a foreclosure sale or auction) to give tenants 30 days notice to move--you'll get a month, but not the balance of our lease term. There is no law or legal requirement that the new owner or bank pay you any compensation for the loss of your tenancy, though you are free to try to negotiate this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption