Tenant Does not Respond to Communications

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tenant Does not Respond to Communications

My tenant doesn’t respond to my inquiries or question or anything that may arise. The lease will expire at the end of November 2017. They did not communicate whether they wish to stay or leave. So I sent them an email asking them the question. If their decision is to stay I offered them a lease extension with the same monthly rent. They ignored the email and also ignored a follow up text 2 days late. I feel uneasy dealing with this tenant. They’re arrogant, and I sense that they feel it’s below them to deal with the landlord because they used to own a big house. So now I cannot get my business done. City inspection coming up, how will I get them to respond. We need gutters cleaned before winter, how will they respond. I haven’t seen inside that house for 2 years and I have no idea what shape it is in. I really would like them out. However, they do pay on time.

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all please send communications to them via regular mail with proof of mailing or certificate of mailing or by certified mail and of course, through the means expressly provided in the lease which is a contract.  And if the lease expires and you did not send them the new lease as provided in this lease, then they are going to stay and become a month to month tenant.  If you are scared to deal with them and want them out then you should hire an attorney ASAP.  It will be worth the money.  Also, your lease should allow you access in to the house by reasonable notice and in emergency.  And that includes work to be done on the outside.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption