CanI represent my mother in court regarding aneviction ifI manager her rental property?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI represent my mother in court regarding aneviction ifI manager her rental property?

I need to take a tenant to court for non-payment of rent in IN. My mother’s name is on the lease but I manage her rentals for her. She now resides in FL. Can I take a tenant to court? All of the tenants were sent a letter 2 years ago stating that I would be managing her rentals for her when she moved.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately you cannot represent you mother, though you may need to be there in court to testify as to the grounds for eviction.

Only two types of people may appear in court, representing someone: a lawyer, who can represent anyone; a person who represents him- or herself, which is called appearing pro se. While anyone may represent him- or herself, no non-lawyer may represent another person (or any business entity, like a corporation or limited liability company) in court--not even if the person works for the other person or entity, is that person's agent, has a power of attorney (which does not actually make one a lawyer), etc. Since you are not your mother, you will need to hire a lawyer to represent your mother in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption