sump pump discharge

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

sump pump discharge

i recently purchased house in Bucks county.. my neighbor has run his sump so it discharges into my rear yard, flooding it constantly and turning it into a mud field drawing mosquitoes and vermin.. town says they wont get involved.. what is the law and what can i do.. thanks

Asked on July 30, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a lawsuit against your neighbor seeking a court order requiring him to re-route his sump pump. The basis of the suit would be his effective trespass onto you land (you can trespass not just bodily, but with items or materials from your land) and his interference with your property rights (i.e. with the use of your property; and his damaging your property by flooding it and causing health issues). This sort of claim is nowhere near as straightforward to make out as the typical small claims suit, and you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you bring this action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption