What to do if I’m being sued for breach of contract regarding a commercial lease?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being sued for breach of contract regarding a commercial lease?

I have been sued because of a breach of a commercial lease contract. I found out after investing in blueprints that I will not be able to setup this business until the lot (not only the actual restaurant) is up to code. I told the owner of the building that I will need help from him to have the outer areas of the restaurant up to code for me to be able to open up my restaurant. After I told him I will not be able to move forward unless he can have the land up to code standards. I had a motion to compel sent to me I’m not sure what I need to do from now.

Asked on July 29, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since you have been personally sued in what seems to be a complicated commercial lease deal, it would be best for you to consult with a lawyer experienced in commercial leases about the lawsuit and to possibly defend you in it.

You will need to file an answer to the complaint within a certain period after you have been served with it. If not, your default could be entered and a default judgment then entered where you would owe a certain sum of money.

Potentially you may have some defenses to the lawsuit against you and will need to consult with an attorney to ferret them out. If you have a signed lease that you are being sued upon, you need to read the lease carefully to see where you failed to perform, where the landlord may have failed to perform and if there were certain requirements that needed to happen before the lease became valid.

The motion to compel you reference probaly pertains to some written questions or document production requests served upon you that you have not responded to. Being in a lawsuit involving commercial property potentially is a high risk matter. You really should consult with an attorney about the claims against you.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption