UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I am not sure if this falls under debt
collection or auto accidents, but I am
an insured motorists without bodily
injury coverage, involved in an
accident. No citations were issued. A
car cut the car in front of me off and
I hit that car from behind. I have just
received notice of a subrogation claim
against me. How do I handle this?
Please help?

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in the accident--and based on what you write, you likely were, or at least would likely be legally found to be at fault; there is a strong presumption that the driver who hits another car from behind is at fault, since he/she should have been traveling at such speed and paying sufficient attention that he/she could have stopped in time--then an insurer who paid out to its insured (e.g. the other car) can sue you to recover the amount(s) it paid out. This is called subrogation. And if you were at fault, they will likely win.
Of course, the fact that they are suing you does *not* mean that you were at fault: despite the fact that you hit the other driver from behind, if the other driver was sufficiently careless and gave you no time/space to react, they could be at fault instead.
However to respond: you can pay the amount they seek; you can try to negotiate a lower amount and pay that; or you can defend the case on the ground that either you were not at fault or they are trying to recover an excessive amount (they can't recover more than the actual and reasonable costs of the damage, etc., even if you were at fault). An insurer will have an attorney, so if you try to fight the case without a lawyer, you will be at a significant disadvantage. So if the case is large enough (that is, the amount sought from you large enough) to justify hiring a lawyer, do so: let the lawyer negotiate and/or fight the case for you. If the amount is not enough to justify the cost of an attorney, you are probably best off either paying or trying to negotiate a lower payment or better paymnent terms (e.g. payment over time).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption