Subpoena to testify

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Subpoena to testify

I am to testify against my ex-boyfriend because he assualted me. I do not wish to go. I have social anxiety disorder and am terrified of standing there in front of all those strangers crying. I need to know how I am supposed to go about getting out of this because I flat out refuse to go. Please help me.

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

when a person is sent a subpoena it means that they have to appear to testify whether they want to or not. If you have a medical condition what I advise is you hire a local attorney who can make a motion to get you out of this.

Although you will possibly have to still testify the court can decide to close the courtroom so its only the judge, defense and prosecution without anyone else, this will help eliminate the nervous feeling of crowds.

Although you can try to make this request on your own if youdo not get such a request granted than the attorney can help represent your best interest. At this point get a doctor to write you a note to attest to your condition and hopefully the court will understand

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption