subcontractor warrant in debt

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

subcontractor warrant in debt

I worked as a sub contractor for a small Maryland based company last summer. They owe me 1200 for work performed. I have invoices and customer sign off sheets to prove the work. I tried to take the President of the company to city court with no success. I would like advice on how to recoup my losses.
Thank you

Asked on April 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get the money would be to sue. You would sue for breach of contract: for violating the agreement, even if only an oral, or unwritten one, pursuant to which you did work in exchange for pay--you having honored your end of the agreement by working, they have to honor their end by paying, and you can enforce their obligation in court, by a lawsuit, if necessary. If the company was not a corporation or LLC, you sue the owner(s) personally, and have the summons/complaint served on the owner(s); if the company was an LLC or corporation, you sue the company. If suing the company, if possible you should serve on the registered agent, but if you cannot locate same, your state's court rules shoud provide an alternative, such as serving on a responsible officer (e.g. manager, president) at the place of business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption