If a student loan taken out by my parent without my knowledge, what can I do?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a student loan taken out by my parent without my knowledge, what can I do?

My father took out a student loan without my knowledge. He forged my signature on the promissory note and on the check. I had no knowledge of this until I checked my credit yesterday. It is for $39,000. My father has stolen my credit card in the past and has used my brother’s account information as well. On top of it all, he always makes payments late and has been visited by the repo man on numerous occasions. So I am asking what I can do. He is my father, so this is a very difficult decision. I don’t want him in trouble but I don’t want him to get away with it by not paying or doing this again

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggets that you speak with your father face to face about the subject that you have written about as to the best way to resolve it where you do not end up being on the hook having to pay back the $39,000 student loan that you did not receive any of the proceeds of. I suggest some written promissory not be made out to you signed by your father for the $39,000 with interest on it where you get monthly payments from him. With the monthly payments you receive, you end up paying down the $39,000 loan yourself and manage that account on your own. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption