Stopped literally yards within a stricter county. Can jurisdiction be chosen?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Stopped literally yards within a stricter county. Can jurisdiction be chosen?

The officer began to pull me over in one county and once i stopped i was in
another. Can i request to be prosecuted by the other county?

Asked on February 28, 2018 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not, unfortunately--or more accurately, you may make the request, but it does not have to be honored and will most likely *not* be granted, absent some compelling reason affecting fairness (such as you had a prior, contentious relationship with the judge in the court you'd otherwise have to appear in). Each court has jurisdication over a certain geographic area in traffic stops, so they normally go to the court in whose area they lie--and since the court and local or county government gets part of any fines, etc., they are reluctant to give that money up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption