What to do if i have still not paid all my assets sincemy divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if i have still not paid all my assets sincemy divorce?

I was divorced over 3 years ago. The court ordered that $325,000 would be paid to me for the equity tin a piece of property. The clause said that my ex-husband had to sell it in a reasonably timely commercial manner. The payment has not been made as the property has not sold. He has remarried and moved out of state as well. I remain single and am now unemployed. I received child support and alimony. The child I have is with me full-time and barely sees her father (1 or 2 weeks a year). This was supposed to be shared custody with every other weekend rotation. I am running out of money.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Family Law, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I think that it is time that you went back to court to do a few things.  First, I am fairly certain (even with out reading the paperwork) that the child support was based upon income as well as shared parenting.  So now you need to go back to court to modify the child support order to increase the amount based upon a change of circumstances: your being out of work and his not sharing the time with your child.  That is done in the state that the child resides which I am assuming is in Maine.  Now, you also need to make a motion to hold him in contempt of the court order (3 years is not reasonable) or to compel him to sell or to allow modification of the agreement.  You can try and obtain a judgement for the amount owed and garnish salary or place a lien on property.  Get some advice.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption