Steps To Claim Unclaimed Funds

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Steps To Claim Unclaimed Funds

I have found unclaimed funds in Ohio for my late grandfather with a total amount reported at over $4,000. My mother had spoken to her lawyer some time ago and from what she told me the process of claiming those funds was extremely difficult. Is this true? Exactly how tough of a process is this and can it be done easily without legal representation?

Asked on November 29, 2016 under Estate Planning, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The unclaimed property funds can easily be obtained without legal representation.
Go on your state's website and click unclaimed property.  Enter your grandfather's name.  There should be an account number.  On the website, there will be instructions and forms you need to file the claim.  If you don't see this information, call the state's telephone number which should be included on that website to order the forms.
If you have received any mail from companies offering to obtain the unclaimed funds for you that charge a percentage for their service, ignore that.  You don't need to pay anyone to obtain the unclaimed funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption