UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My ex and his wife step parent were ordered by the court to seek additional
counseling for my son. The step parent is now refusing to attend. Even though
the ex did sign off that he and his wife step parent would get help needed they
are refusing. Is there any recourse that i can enforce this to happen?

Asked on August 25, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can have your ex and his wife held in contempt of court.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause requesting a hearing on contempt of court.  You will need to call the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  You will file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your claim of contempt of court and any other supporting evidence.  File those documents with your Order to Show Cause and a proof of service.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex and his wife so that they will have notice of the hearing.
Check with the court clerk to be certain that you have filed all the required documents for a contempt of court hearing because the documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption