statutory rape charges with marriage

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

statutory rape charges with marriage

A 20 year old man had consentual sex with a 14 year old girl. She became pregnant. If they marry, can criminal charges still be filed?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Statutory rape law in Tennessee says that if the victim is between 13 and 15 years old, and the perpetrator is at least 4 years older, the perpetrator may be convicted of a felony and face up to 6 years in prison.  There are certain exceptions for marriage, but not for marriage after the fact.  If they were not married at the time, those exceptions would not apply.  In addition, it is not legal for a 14 year old to marry in Tennessee.  Between 16 and 18, parental consent is required.  Younger than 16, it is not legal.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption