What is the statute of limitations for mental/sexual abuse?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statute of limitations for mental/sexual abuse?

My girlfriend whom is 19, when she was younger, around the ages of 15-18 had a boyfriend who was an adult their entire relationship and he had groomed her into doing things she wasnt and isnt entirely comfortable doing and has been suffering from anxieties related to child sexual abuse and depression. Her family hasnt attempted to seek legal help in pressing charges against the man who caused her such trauma and pain and I want to know what can be done for her at this point.

Asked on August 8, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I STRONGLY suggest that your girlfriend seek legal help ASAP.  California does not technally have a statute of limitations but the SOL that does apply is the one that was in place at the time the crime was committed.  For Civil lawsuits she has 8 years from the date she reaches majority, so until 26.  For criminal there may be ways to circumvent the SOL with an aggravated rape charge.  But the facts here matter.  Get help not only with the legalities but with counseling for her ASAP>  Rape centers can help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption