If I just found out that my mother cheated me on a business deal almost 10 years ago, it is too late to file charges against her?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found out that my mother cheated me on a business deal almost 10 years ago, it is too late to file charges against her?

My father passed away over 9 years ago and left his home to me. I gave my mother permission to sell the property. I recently found out that she sold the property for more then she informed me of and kept most of the profit for herself. I would like to file criminal charges against her for theft. What is the statute of limitations?

Asked on December 18, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, it appears to be too late to take legal action. The statute of limitations for criminal charges on this of theft (theft by deception or conversion) is 5 years or less from the time of the theft (the greater the amount, the longer the statute, but even the longest felony theft statute of limitations in your state is only 5 years); the civil statute(s) of limitation to file a lawsuit for this are 2 years or less.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption