If we have a 5013c corporation, is an electronic letter of resignation legal?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have a 5013c corporation, is an electronic letter of resignation legal?

When does a resignation become effective? Who needs to accept it, i.e. president, secretary, etc.? Once the resignation has been acccepted and the individual notified of the acceptance can the individual change their mind and rescind the resignation? Can a board member make a motion to rescind the resignation once it has been accepted? Is that motion and the following vote legal under state law or any other circumstances?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country to effectively resign you need to send a handwritten letter as to such. An electronic resignation does not suffice. Resignation becomes effective upon mailing. Once the resignation is accepted it is a done deal.

Once a resignation happens a board member cannot rescind the resignation. An officer of the entity has to receive the resignation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption