State farm cancelled us in a bad faith

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

State farm cancelled us in a bad faith

After 32 years of coverage with state farm a claim was filed in
March of this year for water damage. It was a claim for 8,900. They
promptly cancelled us after payment was processed. The only other
claim was in 1999 for under 300. I appealed with state farm I was
told that they rarely reconsider in appeal but they may be willing
if they can insure our cars also. Irate would be an understatement

Asked on September 28, 2016 under Insurance Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The insurer has the right to cancel to not renew if they feel that you are not a good risk for them; there is no law requiring the insurer to keep providing coverage or keep you as a client. You will have to look for new insurance or give them the additional coverage they want, since it is their right to decide if they no longer want your business as is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption