How is the division of assets done for a 90 day marriage?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How is the division of assets done for a 90 day marriage?

My son has been married for less than 3 months and is now getting a divorce. We gave him a house 3 years ago; we documented the gift but never changed the deed. We would now like to put the deed in his name. Can his wife put any claim to the property? The only thing they accumulated together during the marriage is debt.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Ohio


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning,

Thanks for posting to our website and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to it the best advice I can give you is wait. Although if it was a house owned 3 years before the marriage and the marriage was only 90 days long in the long run he would most likely end up with the home, however there is no reason to chance it. Most often in such short marriages courts find each party leaves with what they came in with, but just to be cautious it is a good idea to hold off on the transfer

Once the divorce is finalized you can transfer the deed into his name but until that time comes it is safest to keep the property in your names to ensure no potential issues arise.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption