What to do regarding a speeding/traffic violation

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a speeding/traffic violation

I’m looking to get advice on a traffic violation I got recently. The violation was speeding and I don’t feel that I’m guilty. I was caught going

Asked on February 16, 2018 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is completely irrelevant that you were targetted and others were not: it not a legal defense to say that others were breaking the law, too, and the police are allowed to go after person A but not B--all that matters is if A was breaking the law, which you evidently were. That others were travelling the same speed affords you no defense.
If you have an otherwise clean record, the prosecutor may let you plea to a lower speed and/or lesser traffic offense (e.g. fewer points or smaller fine): discussing the matter with the prosecutor on the day scheduled for trial and seeking a favorable plea is your best bet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption