Speeding traffic

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Speeding traffic

New Link Destination
day we had a car come flying up the road. I stepped out in the road to slow him down as kids were playing. This vehicle finally locked his brakes up leaving 20 ft of skid marks in a 30 mph zone and hit me standing in the road. Then, when I went to get his plate, he threw it in reverse and slammed into me standing behind his vehicle. He then threw it in drive and tried to hit me foward again as I had jumped to the edge. At that point, he shattered his window and when he slammed foward again he broke his drive shaft. He agreed that if we paid $100 he wouldn’t charge me with disorderly conduct. Yet, this man had hit me twice and attempted a 3rd. What legal rights do I have? Is it illegal to stand on a country road?

Asked on December 26, 2016 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's not that it's illegal to stand in a county road, but it may well be disorderly conduct to deliberately step in front of a car, since you could have easily caused him to swerve off the road, crash, damage property, hurt others, and/or be injured himself--what you did was, frankly very dangerous as wall as illegal. It is also vandalism to deliberate throw a rock at and damage another's car. And while he may have hit you, he did so, based on what you write, because you placed yourself in his way--your own actions therefore makes this your fault. Even if what he did (speeding) was initially dangerous, everthing you did after that was illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption