Speeding ticket with completely different carmake,color,license plate,year

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Speeding ticket with completely different carmake,color,license plate,year

I got a speeding ticket going 61 in a 35 in Miami
dade Florida and the cop put the completely wrong
car make, year, color, as well as license plate. I have
read that errors on tickets are no reason to get it
invalid, but in this case all the car information is
incorrect. The officer was even parked behind me
when he pulled over and still didn’t even put an effort
to put in at least the license plate.

Asked on August 1, 2017 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Appear in court on the date specified and bring with you proof that they had the car wrong: e.g. your registration, photos of the car, etc. The prosecutor may choose to dismiss. But it would be voluntary if he did; he may choose to proceed and try to amend the ticket to reflect the correct information, which he would be allowed to do by the court IF the officer shows up (typically on another date: if you end up going to trial, they rarely do it the first day but instead reshedule) and testifies believably that he did in fact pull you over and recognizes you, but accidentally got your information mixed up with another's as he was filing out the ticket. If the court believes him that he did pull you over and just made a "scribner's" or writing error, they will typically let the ticket be amended and proceed.
That said, there is certainly a reasonable chance that the prosecotor will agree to dismiss rather than going to that trouble; or agree to let you plead to a lesser offense (e.g. the least speeding ticket you could get) in exchange for your consent to allow the amendment or correction of the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption