What are my rights if a speaker from the sound system fell on my head on school grounds during my son’s basketball game?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a speaker from the sound system fell on my head on school grounds during my son’s basketball game?

I was at my son’s basketball game and a speaker fell on my head. I have a big knot but have not gone to the hospital because I don’t have insurance or a way to pay the medical bill. However, it’s not getting any better, as a matter of fact it’s getting worse (my neck and back now hurt). I called the school yesterday and they were supposed to call me back; I still haven’t heard from them. What can I do?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The school may be liable for any actual injuries or costs you incur--for example, unreimbursed medical costs; lost wages from missing work; pain and suffering for serious injuries (typically, ones impacting basic life functions or enjoyment, causing disability or disfigurement, etc.)--if the speak falling on your head was due to the school's negligence, such as in not installing it correctly, not checking or maintaining it, etc.

However, if the school does not pay voluntarily, you would need to sue to try to recover money. (Bear in mind, lawsuits are never certain--you can never predict with absolute confience whether you will win or lose.) Therefore, if the school will not compensate you, you need to weigh whether the amount of money you hope to recover is worth the cost and inconvenience of litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption