What to do if my son’s finger were cut openby protruding metal on an escalator at an amusement/theme park?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son’s finger were cut openby protruding metal on an escalator at an amusement/theme park?

We were on an escalator going up but of the side panels was not flushed with the other and so was sticking out a few inches. My 6 year old son was dragging his hands on the panel when his middle and index finger went into the crack between the panels. My daughter saw this as his fingers were stuck yet we kept going up, she pulled his hand out of there before it did any serious damage but my son end up slicing his fingers really bad. We went to first aid and they told us to go to the emergency room where my son ended up getting 21 stitches on his fingers. Is there any thing I can do about this? They just told me to call the claims department and they would take care of everything.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If it was negligent, or unreasonably careless, to have a protruding side panel on an escalator used regularly by small children at an amusement park--which it may well have been--then the park is potentially liable for:

* Medical costs, both to date and future (e.g. follow-up)

* Lost wages (e.g. if you have to miss work)

* Possibly pain and suffering, especially if there will be any significant time during which your son can't really use his hand, or any lingering scars or disability.

You can certainly do as they suggest and contact the claims department first, to see what, if anything, you are offered. If unhappy with what you are offered, you may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney to explore a lawsuit. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption