What to do if my son-in-law is taking me to court for getting rid of some of the stuff that he left behind when he moved out?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son-in-law is taking me to court for getting rid of some of the stuff that he left behind when he moved out?

He moved out 8 months ago. He left the yard a mess with all sorts of broken and damaged equipment. He was told on several occasions to come get his stuff. We had to move on 3 months ago. His stuff was still there. I told someone to come and take whatever they wanted because he obviously wasn’t getting the stuff.

Asked on October 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yiur question sounds more like a family civil dispute as opposed to a criminal matter since you refer that your son-in-law is taking you to court for discarding some items that he left at your premises when he moved out.

The best defense that you would have to this civil action is that the material left behind was abandoned by him and despite attempts by you for him to come and get it, he never did so. Under many state laws, if the items left behind are less than $300 or so in value, the landlord/property owner can discard the property any way he or she seems fit.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption