Someone with a high profile criminal case out on bail should they accept invites to go on tv for interviews and other things?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Someone with a high profile criminal case out on bail should they accept invites to go on tv for interviews and other things?

the case is all over the media. he is charged with trespassing n interupting a pro sport event. out on 1000 bail. back to court in a month. he was offered to go on tv and get interviewed and have his band play. should he accept this offer or refuse? would it affect his criminal case in a negative way. please help my bro wants to be famous but he is facing up to a year in jail

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This sort of media frenzy type case is complicated.  I have my own thoughts on this but i do not want to be the one to give him advice c ontrary to his lawyer.  If i were your brother, i would want to keep himself out of the media till the case blows over.  However, i am not sure what the details of the case are so it is difficult for me to make that decision.  Everyone likes to see fans interrupting games because its entertaining, but as far as  judge and state's attorney, they are not going to beleive that your brother is taking this seriously if he is out n tv making jokes and have a fun with it.  Its better to resolve it first and take is seriously to avoid a harsher penalty, then kid about as opposed to the other way around.   Nevertheless, i suggest you retain counsel and obtain their advice as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption