How do I get my truck back if someone took it, crashed it and fled, and the police are now holding it until they find individual?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my truck back if someone took it, crashed it and fled, and the police are now holding it until they find individual?

My truck was taken from my driveway without my knowledge. It was wrecked

and impounded. The deputy says it was because my exboyfriend was driving

on suspension. He wasn’t even around when the incident occurred. The truck

is in my name alone. The police say that since the truck has his name and number on a sign it shows ownership. They refuse to release the hold until he

turns himself in for charges he didn’t do.

Asked on November 24, 2018 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The police are wrong, but to get it back from them you will have to prove they are wrong in court: that is, you will have to sue the police for the return of your truck, and in the lawsuit, prove (e.g. by title, registration, etc.) that you are sole owner. Suing for a court order (as opposed to money in a small claims suit) is more complicated, and suing the police increases the complexity yet. It is unlikely a non-lawyer will be successful. Hire a lawyer to help you; or if the value of the truck is not worth hiring an attorney, you are probably better off letting the police hold the truck for now and buying/leasing yourself a new vehicle in the meantime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption