Sole Proprietorship or LLC?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Sole Proprietorship or LLC?

I’d like to start renting out some large marquee type letters for use at wedding
receptions or as props for photography. I don’t expect to get rich doing this
but I do have a fear of the venue catching fire and it being traced back to my
lights Essentially this would be a very tiny business, but I do want to be
certain I am in compliance with all tax laws. Just starting out, can I just do a
sole proprietorship?

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You want to do an LLC. The cost and paperwork involved is small, but having an LLC will protect you (you home, money in the bank, car, any income you get from other sources) from the vast majority of business-related liability, such as the sort of situation you describe. The minor cost and effort is well worth the protection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption