If I sold an item that was returned but damaged beyond repair, must I give a refund to the customer?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I sold an item that was returned but damaged beyond repair, must I give a refund to the customer?

I sold item on eBay but it was not what the buyer expected, so he requested money back. He was told to return item and he would receive a refund. I received the returned item but it was broken beyond repair. Now eBay told me as long as the item was returned, no matter what condition, I’m required to return his money.

Asked on June 20, 2014 under Business Law, Nevada


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Well, on the assumption that you sold him/her the item in one condition and it was returned to you in a damagec condition...assuming that it was not damaged by the "carrier", then you will want to engage in a conversation with the buyer as to what would be the "value" of the item on the understanding that the buyer actually damaged the item.

Shawn Jackson California Business Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption