If I live with my father and I own my own car but he paid for some repairs, can he legally confiscate it?

UPDATED: May 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I live with my father and I own my own car but he paid for some repairs, can he legally confiscate it?

On the insurance it has my name on top as the primary operator and his name on bottom. About a month ago I wasn’t finically capable of paying for some serious repairs done to it so he took out a loan to have it repaired. He is now threatening to confiscate my car for no reasonable legal action but just to take it away from me. Do I legal rights over my car as to what goes on with it? I am 18 years of age and I paid for the car myself.

Asked on May 27, 2015 under Business Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I'll assume that since you paid for it, the title is in your name. That being the caser, whether or not your father is listed on the insurance policy has no bearing on ownership. Accordingly, your father has no legal right to confiscate your property.

That having been said, he could take you to small claims court to try and get his money back if you don't repay him. Once he has a judgment, he could however place a lien on the car until paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption