What to doif the utility company refuses to turn on electricity after attaching my ex-boyfriend’s bills to mine?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to doif the utility company refuses to turn on electricity after attaching my ex-boyfriend’s bills to mine?

The utility company has attached a bill of $2000 to me because my ex owes them. I never lived in this house but they say they pulled up a credit check with my name on it for the property 6 months ago. I’ve never signed or called in to have any utilities in my name at this property. I just moved in and they refuse to turn the power on. It’s below freezing at this time of year and I’ve had to get a hotel while all my property sits in a dark powerless house.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the utility company refuses to turn on your electricity at the home you occupy due to some billing issues with your former boyfriend where you claim you have no responsibility for, you need to go down to the utility company and have a face to face meeting with the manager to see what can be done.

If you never were listed as the user for the utility service that has not been paid, it makes no sense legally why the company will not give you utility service.

If the manager will not turn the power on to the unit you are occupying, you might consider making a complaint with your state's public utility department that regulates and oversees the utility industry in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption