Slipped in a grocery store

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Slipped in a grocery store

While walking pushing my cart, I
slipped from a wet floor almost
falling, I held on tightly to my cart
to break the fall. a incident report
was filed.I went to the hospital and my
primary care Dr. What do I do
now.Someone from the store was supposed
to contact me. They haven’t thus far.

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Personal Injury, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF the store was negligent or careless in causing you to slip, such as by not cleaning up a spill after a long-enough time had passed that reasonably, they should have become aware of it and wiped it up (note: if the spill happened just before you slipped, they would not be at fault, since that in case, they did nothing wrong--they had no reasonable chance to correct the situation), they could be liable for your out-of-pocket, or not paid by insurance, medical costs, lost wage (if any), and, for *serious*, long lasting (many weeks, if not months or longer) disability or impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering." BUT they only liable for your actual costs and injuries, not what for could have (but didn't) happen. So if, as we hope, you were not badly injured and have not injured significant out-of-pocket medical costs, there is no point in suing or taking legal action--you'd spend more on the legal action than you'd get back. Without significant injuries or costs, if they offer you *anything*, take it; if they don't, it's better to drop the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption