What to expect for skipped jail time on an aggravated DWI?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to expect for skipped jail time on an aggravated DWI?

My boyfriend received a 90 day maximum sentence for an aggravated DWI (twice over legal limit) in MNover 3 years ago (als (his 2nd DWI). He hasn’t had a drink in over 2 years. We are getting married in a month and are expecting our first child in 6 months. He wants to turn himself in and get this cleared up before the baby comes. If he does turn himself in, what kind of sentence/ penalties is he looking at? Also, are they easier on the sentence if you turn yourself in compared to being picked up? Should he first speak with a criminal law attorney? In Douglas County, NE.

Asked on June 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well congratulations and he should be proud of himself getting his act cleaned up.  First, may I suggest that he does not turn himself in on his own without speaking with and retaining an attorney to do so.  I am sure that there is a warrant or two out thee for his arrest and he does not need to be dragged in in handcuffs here.  The attorney can find out what is happening in the system and speak with the prosecutor's office on the matter to try and negotiate the best deal for him.  How and what he will be charged with is unknown to me but the court will definitely look more favorably on him if he surrenders voluntarily.  Good luck to you all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption