Wht to do if my landlord wants to show my unit without notice?

UPDATED: Jul 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do if my landlord wants to show my unit without notice?

I am planning on moving out of my apartment. I got the notice to vacate from landloard to fill out, however, the notice says this :Showing to prospective tenants can occure on any day of the week from 9-5:30 pm whether I (we) am (are) home or not and I am supposed to sign this. Also, the notice stresses this is a legal document and your signature signifies that you are aware of these terms and will be held to these term. Should I get reasonable notice before the landloard enters my apartment?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord must give reasonable notice before entering the unit to show it to prospective renters.  Usually 24 hours advance written notice and showing between 8am and 5pm is reasonable.  Add the 24 hour notice term to the document, then sign it.  I wouldn't sign anything giving them blank permission to enter without notice, because you don't have to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption