Signed relocation but position description didnt match

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Signed relocation but position description didnt match

I signed a relocation contract with my company which keeps me committed to LA for 1 year. However the position description did not match what they had me doing. It’s been 6 months now and I’ve been thinking about asking their HR for options since I didn’t get the position I’m in the HR system for. Do I have legal standing?

Asked on July 25, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you do not have any viable legal claim, unless you had a written employment contract defining or specifying your job. In the absence of such a contract, all employment in this country is "employment at will." That means, among other things, that your employer has 100% control over what you job, duties, title, etc. are and can change them at will; you have no right to a specific job. Therefore, the employer could redefine your job at will and you have to accept it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption